Electric company Con Edison experienced a plant explosion on Monday evening due to former hurricane (now superstorm) Sandy.
The explosion, which happened on East 14th Street and FDR Drive, is suspected to be one of the reasons why many New York City residents are without power.
Trillian Media captured the incredible moment on video. The explosion happens around 15 seconds in -- then watch the city gradually go dark.
More Coverage of Hurricane Sandy
- New York City Subway Stations Turn Into Eery, Empty Platforms
- 6 Fake Hurricane Sandy Photos You’re Sharing on Social Media
- Here’s Proof That Hurricane Sandy Is Nothing Like Irene
- Incredible Viral Soldier Pic Debunked by Military
- Boy Rides Air Mattress Through Flooded Virginia Streets
- How Will Hurricane Sandy Affect The Internet? [VIDEO]
- 5 Emergency Apps to Download Before Hurricane Sandy Hits [VIDEO]
- How to Use Facebook and Twitter Without the Internet